Senior Sous Chef
Location Milling Barn | Buntingford | Hertfordshire
Hours 40 hours per week
Salary Up to £40,000 + bonus
To apply for this position, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below.Apply Now
Senior Sous Chef
Up to £40,000 + bonus depending on experience
Milling Barn, Buntingford, Hertfordshire, SG9 9RN
Start Date: ASAP
Please submit a covering letter with your application
The Venue Group are looking for a passionate Chef based at Milling Barn. Milling Barn is a beautiful old farm in the middle of the rural Hertfordshire countryside, with stunning views and a range of elegantly converted 18th Century barns. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, have a passion for excellent food, and be able to work in a small team.
The Venue Group is a small, privately owned company, with a big heart and a passion for weddings. Our wedding venues are both extraordinary and very different. We offer an unforgettable setting for our couple’s wedding day, and we all work very hard to make certain they, and their guests enjoy a simply magical experience. Our overriding goal is to ensure our couples have the very best day of their lives.
Our wedding venues are growing and developing, so we are always on the lookout to recruit talented individuals to help us deliver the very best experience to our customers. For those who meet our standards and expectations, we offer excellent training, competitive rates of pay, and a genuine opportunity to grow within our business that recognises and rewards the very best talent.
- Previous experience in working in events catering and preferably weddings.
- Self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Must be a team player with a strong and friendly personality that everyone gets on with.
- Must be able to multitask and be adaptable.
- Must have an eye for detai.
- Well turned out with a professional appearance.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Must be able to stand for long period of time, 8 – 12 hours.
- Candidates must be eligible to work full-time in the UK.
- Own transport is essential due to the location.
- To work with the Head Chef in the delivery a variety of menus for weddings and events at Milling Barn, ensuring that the highest standards of service are established, maintained, and improved.
- Management and maintenance of the building, ensuring the venue is always health & safety compliant.
- Help with the management & training of staff including agency staff. Always monitoring the use of casual staff to ensure labour costs remain within budget.
- Help ensure all resources / consumables are ordered, received, available, and assigned, as appropriate for each wedding and event in a timely manner and within agreed budgets.
- Ensure all kitchen areas are kept clean, tidy, and free from obstruction, meeting with all current legislation.
- Ensure all health & safety and hygiene regulations are adhered to.
- Help maintain accurate records of daily and weekly health & safety checklists, and provide statistical and management information, as required, by the GM.
- Liaise with all departments effectively to ensure that clients’ requirements are delivered, and all contractual obligations are met.
- Ensure high standards of cleanliness and that issued uniforms are always worn.
- Help manage any purchasing within the kitchen budgets for all areas of cost.
- Actively promote the venue through effective customer relations.
- Any other reasonable duties as specified by management to ensure effective operational management of the venue.
- Understanding of the administration systems and use these in line with accepted company policy.
- Deputise for the Head Chef in his absence.
- Sous Chef at events, venue or hotel experience: Required
- 1 year’s management experience: Required
- Level 3 Food Hygiene: Required
- IOSH or NEBOSH: Preferred
- First Aid: Preferred
- Fire Marshal: Preferred
Hours & Schedule
- Based on a 5-day week, including weekends. Workdays fluctuate given the needs of the business.
- 10 hour shift | 12 hour shift | 8 hour shift | Day & evening shifts
Benefits of working with us
- Exceptional hours | 40-45 hours per week
- Company bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- Training will be provided
- Company events
- On-site parking